Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Last Day

Sue and I have had a painting in our kitchen for 20 years, of a little diner called "Susie-Q" with the motto "Let's Eat Here!"

I knew it was a real place, I'd seen it years ago working in Mason City, Iowa.  I've been meaning to go check it out for a long time, but like Bartlesville, it's not really on the way to anywhere, I'd have to make a side trip.
Mason City is also where Frank Lloyd Wright's Park Inn Hotel was built.  This is a bank and hotel complex, built in 1910.  While FLW was there, he was commissioned to build several houses, and evidently there was a Prairie Architecture boom, because there are also some excellent Walter Burleigh Griffin houses and others built around the same time.

I found the Susie-Q diner, unfortunately it was closed Sundays.  It looks kind of beat up, but still picturesque.
The Park Inn complex was being restored.  According to their website it'll be redone like the original.  Right now it's pretty much disassembled, I hope they can do a suitable restoration.
I took the walking tour, saw a lot of nice homes.  I'm a big fan of Prairie School and the Arts and Crafts movement.  There are some nice examples there.
Even an old fire station - I couldn't find any info on it, but it looked cool.

I followed US-18 most of the way home. The only trouble with the middle of nowhere is there aren't a lot of restaurants.  Other than chain places, I couldn't find anything interesting along the drive.  Eventually hunger drove me to grab a Subway sandwich... oh well.

Eating good regional food and camping out more were the only things I wasn't able to do as much as I'd hoped on the trip, though. The lack of good local food seems to be a tradeoff for exploring the most unpopulated areas, and the weather is hard to predict - it would have been perfect for sleeping out by the time I was leaving.
Overall, it was an excellent time.  I saw a lot of things I'd wanted to, and most of them lived up to expectations.  I had good subjects to photograph, and I had the time to think about my photography - my tastes, influences and motivations, and what images I want to make.
I arrived home recharged, ready to get back to work, looking forward to the next getaway.
Thanks for reading this.  I plan on posting the next trip... when I find out where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment